My first Steampunk wedding set is complete! And here are the photos to prove it~
I really need to take before and after pictures more. But I found this old dress in a thrift store in Florida. It was crazy; lace and organza from tip top of the neck to completely over the wrists. Puffy shoulders, full skirt and a cathedral train to boot (or trip all over at least). Besides being huge and entirely covering in every way it was torn to shreds. So not only did I cut it up and redesign it but I had to actually do some restoration work as well.
The whole project was incredibly intimidating. It didn't help that space I had to work with was so small and cluttered that I couldn't even spread the whole dress out. It actually turned out that I made a few bad cuts and had to stitch them back together (not super fun). I took ruffles from the extra on the bottom of the skirt to replace damaged ones in the train. I delicately ripped the stitches out of lace only to hand sew it back in another way.
Honestly I carried this project around for months just being too scared to work on.
But I charged forward and in the end of it all I couldn't be more proud. It turned out absolutely fabulous, if I do say so myself.
The hat wasn't a great challenge like the skirt. I was able to just let the creativity flow and it came out so unique and fun.
This set sold within days of being up on our etsy. ~*~